Thursday, January 26, 2012

ARCmedia: Project 1 Iteration





For this iteration, I applied a grid with a dual resolution which relates to concentrations of value in the painting, with the resolution higher (pixels smaller) where value is greater/darker.



This seems to work pretty well for how I've chosen to manipulate the sheet. Based on the Gorky's gestural strokes (the secondary action in his process, after stretching the canvas), I've marked out where those lines cross intersections on the regulating grid, where I will place a pleat. This technique produces a textural abstraction of the gesture, but it also manipulates the surrounding field so that the "wash" arises out of the "line."



I'm really pleased with where this is going, but I still need to sort out some details, like the direction of the scoring and folding and how those correspond to the pleats. To a certain extent, which side the scoring is applied determines the direction of the fold. So then there needs to be a decision made about the direction of the pleats, or maybe a decision about a logic that produces a pleat direction.

Also, I'd really like to push this further, making the pleats more dramatic. This seems to be a matter of wrestling with the paper, but I think I need to experiment more with fasteners. I don't seem to be getting much tension out of the sewn pleats, but they do hold better than staples. However, I think these issues might be alleviated once the scoring and folding is adjusted to accommodate more extreme gathers.

The final model is due Tuesday, so I should be able to make these changes in the next iteration.

No comments:

Post a Comment