Trying to find a balance between variability and control.
Where originally I was thinking about some series of actions to produce a model of Gorky's painting (or at least my chosen section), I'm finding that establishing some overall order to the composition is helpful in making that plane more plastic, more prone to more "gestural" manipulation.
What I've done here is fold a conventional grid (in both directions) so that I had a more plastic surface to manipulate. In translating those initial "gestures," I located the control points on those curves, and pleating the paper (in short, vertical pleats) at those points. So, an abstraction of Gorky's original gesture comes out through that texture. Further, the secondary effect of the pleats manipulates the folded surface in a way that his washes of color fill the spaces between the initial linework. Thus, the next step in the process actually arises out of the first.
Next step: produce a full-scale material iteration based on this model
No comments:
Post a Comment